What does the future of space look like?

From Yuri’s Night to Space News and your comments, this episode of Spacevidcast Live is jam packed with the awesome. We ask you the question, “What do you envision the future of space to look like?” Leave your comments below or send us a video comment!

The conversation continues! Spacevidcast epic subscribers can watch After Dark and watch the show after the show. Epic subscribers also get access to hours of additional content from exclusive behind-the-scenes videos to conferences and events! Best of all, your epic subscription helps to keep Spacevidcast alive.

Don’t forget, show notes on this episode are available in our wiki. http://wiki.spacevidcast.com/en/5.05

Posted in ,

1. Robert McBayer on April 17, 2012 at 6:15 am

not lison to all the comment on being to lone thar to short

2. Royce Jones on April 17, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Developing space does not need to take a huge amount of the, especially for near-Earth space, i.e., the Moon and Mars. The basic technology to do this already existing and can be emplimented quickly and at fairly low cost. An example of this would be solar electric propulsion (SEP) and an even better example would be wirelesss power transmission (WPT) for electric propulsion. A system using WPT SEP would separate the power production system from the propulson system, i.e, beamed energy. Using beamed energy, i.e., microwaves would reduct the mass of the space vehicle by a factor of about 30 verse chemical, solar, on nuclear. Such a system would be high reusable and could open up space for massive space settlement. This is not a technology issue, it is not even an economic isssue, it is a lack of imagination and leadership.

3. Marc on April 18, 2012 at 9:18 pm

hey,
    thanks for explaining the difference between “docking” and “birthing” (is that how you spell it?).

• cariann on April 29, 2012 at 6:02 pm

I think it’s “berth”ing… or being “berthed”.

4. Marc on April 18, 2012 at 11:06 pm

cariann,
    you were awesome in this show. loved what you said. the star trek philosophy is a dream, a fairy tale and ben is probably more on the realistic side with his comments; but hey, only with dreams we have something to shoot for. and even if we don’t hit the bulls eye, it still helps us to get closer to that future. i wish more people had dreams like you, it would certainly help us get more united.

• Cariann on April 22, 2012 at 5:18 am

Hey Marc! Thanks for the kind words! Ben and I like to balance each other out. Even off camera. As long as he lets me keep dreaming, I will let him keep being depressing… I mean… realistic? LOL!
      Robert, I don’t think anyone could ever shut me up when talking about space!
      Royce, You clearly know more about it than I do… so it’s nice to hear encouraging words! (At least on the technology side of it all)

5. Bill Housley on April 19, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I agree with you, Matt, on who will put people back on Mars and back on the moon.

I’ll go one step further on your prediction about the future of governments around the world sponsering space exploration. In the same way that we are currently paying ROSCOSMOS to launch our astronauts to the ISS, I see smaller, and maybe even larger, governments paying U.S. companies like SpaceX to launch their missions, and that is very exiting.

I see two market shifts too. One from NASA focused to private enterprize focused…which we are seeing now…then another from rocket focused to spaceplane focused, once the industry grows enough under the dropping prices to support a space transport industry and after spaceplane technology has a chance to mature and go into mass production. The spaceplane contribution will be a further drop in prices but also a dramatic reduction in launch lead-times.

6. Bill Housley on April 19, 2012 at 12:38 pm

The “decades and ceturies” guy is missing where we are going. Commercial rockets have a 3 year lead time, but in a year or two we will have spaceplane with a 1 year lead time. The cost of human presence in space is about to plumet far enough to do some very exciting things. Those who want to “sleep on it” will wake up and find that their overslept and missed the boat.

7. Marcus on April 28, 2012 at 8:59 pm

OK, so I know I’m a bit late but I want to add a few comments.

First of all, I agree with Marc: it was awesome to soo you “back in action” Cariann! The last couple of shows you have been kind of silent and passive with the odd “awesome” and “interesting” in between. 😉 Keep on with the more active participation in the discussion! 🙂

Second, since you brought up the question how “Europe feels about picking up all the (science) leftovers from the US”. I can’t help it, but I have to
    respond with a little friendly banter: as the US was founded by “leftovers” from Europe (read: people who went to the new world, because Europe wasn’t good enough for them 😉 – no offense intended!), I guess we are all pretty OK with picking up your “leftovers” to once again lead the world in science! 😉

Speaking of science: the ESA contribution to the ExoMars mission(s) was a lot more than just a few million Pounds vs. billions of Dollars from NASA. Before NASA had to cancel their contributions, ESA had a limit of 1 billion Euros to spend on the program and now it seems we will have to spend even more to keep it on track, possibly at the expense of other programs.
    (lol, wouldn’t it be ironic if as a consequence ESA had to reduce their contributions to the JWST?)

Best regards from Vienna, Austria and keep up the good shows (that certainly are NOT to long! ;))

8. Marcus on April 28, 2012 at 9:01 pm

OK, so I know I’m a bit late but I want to add a few comments.

Best regards from Vienna, Austria and keep up the good work (your shows are btw NOT too long for on demand viewers, that has to be some evil propaganda! ;))

• cariann on April 29, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Again, I appreciate the feedback. I do realize that sometimes I just kind of let Ben run the show. I think we are just starting to think too much alike! We do try to not talk too much about any particular topic before going on air, to make sure we haven’t already discussed it to death… Hmmm…

I totally do not take any offense in your comments! Again, I clearly chose my words incorrectly. And I am very sorry for that. Really, if anything I very much appreciate all of the science and advancements that have come from Europe. I simply love seeing the advancement of the human race, especially in space. I freely admit that sometimes I don’t always think before I speak. I am very? sorry.

Thank you for your continued patience with me. I am obviously no expert and do enjoy learning!!

• Marcus on April 30, 2012 at 9:02 am